As a coach you are a role model for the kids and parents. Please review the following and abide by it.
The Cycle of Criticism
The results of Negative feedback toward the referee!
- Referee makes a call, right or wrong.
- The cycle of criticism begins when the coach gives a negative response to a right or wrong call made by the referee.
- The coach’s example gives the parent the implied permission to react negatively towards the referee.
- The parent’s example causes the child to assume that it is acceptable to react in the same way.
- The results can be a player’s negative attitude towards authority and negative environment.
The results of Positive feedback towards the referee!
- Referee makes a call right or wrong.
- The cycle of criticism ends when the coach gives a Positive response to a right or wrong call made by the referee.
- The coach’s example causes the parents to react Positively towards the referees.
- The parent’s example encourages the child to give a positive response.
- The results are a positive attitude towards authority and a positive environment.
Practicing being positive makes the game a better experience for everyone involved.